Scientific name: Salix sericea
This plant has a very high wildlife value (similar in value to oak trees). I’ve only had it in the ground for about 3 years and it always provides me with something exciting to watch (even when it’s not being visited by wildlife). In the wind, the willow-shaped leaves shimmer as it waves to me from the back yard.
- high wildlife value
- fast growing
- small tree (or large bush) – only grows to about 12 feet max
- likes (loves) wet soils – it will thrive in a raingarden
- grows well in clay, sand, loam soils
- ranges from full sun to full shade!
- waves at you from your yard
We are, unfortunately at the Southern end of its range. Hopefully it will hold out for a little while in our changing climate.